Clinic Experience for Interns
Experience is everything, and at Sherman, you will get a lot of it. During your last two years here, you'll serve as a chiropractic intern in our on-campus Chiropractic Health Center, where you'll fully engage in all aspects of patient care, developing your chiropractic and business management skills through practical, hands-on experience.
As an intern, you'll train and provide care using the most advanced techniques, state-of-the-art analytical and adjusting equipment and the latest research data. You'll experience what it means to impact the health and well-being of children, athletes, the elderly, and entire families through chiropractic care. And you'll gain a deep appreciation for how profoundly chiropractic care can impact people's health.
During your last five quarters as a chiropractic intern, you will be fully immersed in all aspects of patient care in order to develop essential clinical competency, prepare for licensing exams and learn how to be a competent, compassionate, ethical and successful doctor of chiropractic. Together, with licensed chiropractic faculty, you will be responsible for:
- Taking and recording thorough patient histories
- Conducting patient examinations
- Ordering and analyzing digital x-rays when appropriate
- Educating patients about good health practices and how regular chiropractic care benefits overall health
- Analyzing patient findings, developing diagnoses and creating appropriate care plans
- Providing chiropractic adjustments
- Participating in community outreach events
- Improving your communication and practice-building skills
- Entrance & Exit Exams
You'll have the opportunity to gain even more practical experience and professional knowledge through three of our specialized internship and student-mentor programs at the Health Center: ACE (Academy of Chiropractic Excellence), PEIP (Patient Education Intern Program) and XRI (X-ray Intern).