Sherman College History
The college is named for a pioneer in the development of modern chiropractic and former assistant director of the B.J. Palmer Chiropractic Research Clinic in Davenport, Iowa, Dr. Lyle W. Sherman. Dr. Sherman moved to Spartanburg in 1954 to start a private practice in a location close to mountains and beaches.
Established January 11,1973, Sherman College was founded by Dr. Thom Gelardi. He embraced the philosophy of chiropractic and wanted to ensure that its principles prospered and were preserved for future generations. With the help of a chiropractic advisory board comprised of some of the most knowledgeable and respected chiropractors from around the world, Dr. Gelardi created Sherman College.
The college occupied two temporary facilities before building at its current location on Springfield Road in 1977
. The college campus encompasses 80 acres.
Sherman College has had five presidents, beginning with Dr. Gelardi, from 1973 until 1996, followed by Dr. David Koch, 1997-2000. Dr. Jerry Hardee served from 2001-2005, and Dr. Gelardi was interim president from 2006-2007. Dr. Jon Schwartzbauer, served from 2007-2012. Dr. Edwin Cordero took the reins as the college’s fifth president 2013.
The Scallon Building was constructed first. Sherman added two more academic buildings–the E.C. Taylor Building to house the Chiropractic Health Center and the Olsen Building to accommodate a growing student population.