William M. Harris, D.C., of Alpharetta, GA – acclaimed philanthropist, doctor, executive, lecturer, author, educator and elder statesman to the profession of chiropractic – died on November 9.
A Sherman supporter and avid advocate for the chiropractic profession who provided Sherman College with several challenge and matching grants, Harris was the founder of Practice Consultants, Inc., a chiropractic consulting firm, and the Foundation for the Advancement of Chiropractic Education, which has given more than $11 million to these causes. More recently the name of the foundation was changed to The William M. Harris Family Foundation to reflect the scope of his philanthropy.
Sherman College, as well as other chiropractic colleges, benefited from his foundation’s donations and grants made possible by the success of his success in business. Dr. Harris generously issued several challenge or matching grants to Sherman College over the years.
Dr. Harris graduated from Palmer School of Chiropractic in 1938, having been a student of both Dr. Lyle Sherman and Mrs. Eula Sherman who taught speech and communication. He was later an assistant professor in the X-Ray Department at Palmer College. He encouraged several members of his family to enter the chiropractic profession, and there are now more than a dozen of them practicing in Georgia.
Dr. B.J. Palmer, the developer of chiropractic and president of Palmer College authored six books, only dedicating two of them; Dr. Harris was one of the recipients. Among his many recognitions, Dr. Harris received Dynamic Chiropractic’s Chiropractic Philanthropist of the Year award in 1997, and he was honored by Sherman College with a Service to the Profession award in 1998.
Dr. Harris is survived by a son, Tom Harris, and a daughter, Beverly Logan, as well as a granddaughter and grandson.