Sherman Shares - February 2013
Ch-Ch-Changes since 1973
What has changed in 40 years since Sherman College opened its doors?
- World population nearly doubled 3.9 billion to 7 billion.
- Gas prices $0.40 to ~ $3.50/ gallon
- Average personal income: $12,900 to $50,904 (2011)
- Average cost of new home: $32,500 to $146,200 (down from $300,000 in 2008).
- 30-second Super Bowl (VII) ad: $88,000 to $4,000,000
Factoids from Back in the Day:
- Arab members of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) restricted flow of crude oil to countries supporting Israel. Gas prices double.
- US Troops withdraw from Vietnam and U.S. involvement in Vietnam War ends.
- Watergate Hearings begin in the United States Senate. President Richard Nixon tells the nation, “I am not a crook.”
- World Trade Center in New York becomes the tallest building in the world.
Sears tower opens, becoming the worlds tallest building..
- Endangered Species Act of 1973 is signed into law to "protect species and the ecosystems upon which they depend."
- Billy Jean King defeats Bobby Riggs in tennis.
- Secretariat becomes the first Triple Crown winner in 25 years.
- Skylab, the United States' first space station, is launched.
- Concorde cuts flying time across the Atlantic in half, flying at average speed of 954 mph.
- Inventions: Barcode, Optical Fiber, TCI/IP ethernet protocol, gene splicing, Bic disposable lighter.
- World Series Champions: Oakland Athletics
- Superbowl VII Champions: Miami Dolphins
- NBA Champions: New York Knicks
- "Have it your way"
- Burger King
- O.J. Simpson became the first N.F.L. player to rush for 2,000 yards in a season.
- Top movies of 1973
- American Graffiti
- The Exorcist
- The Sting
- Paper Moon
- Last Tango in Paris
- The Way We Were
- Live And Let Die.
- Notable people we lost in 1973 included
Debut artists of ‘73 included Aerosmith, B.T.O. and E.L.O.
- Jim Croce
- Bobby Darin
- Gene Krupa
- Betty Grable
- Noel Coward
- Lon Chaney Jr.
- Edward G. Robinson
- Lyndon B. Johnson
- Pablo Picasso.
- On Elvis Presley’s 38th birthday, he files for divorce from his wife Priscilla.
- Grammy award: ‘Killing Me Softly With His Song’ by Roberta Flack.
Top 10 TV shows 1973 (3 networks)
1. All in the Family
2. The Waltons
3. Sanford and Son
5. Hawaii Five-O
8. The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour
9. The Mary Tyler Moore Show
Top TV in 2012 (10 networks)
1. Big Bang Theory
2. Person of Interest
3. Two and a Half Men
7. Chicago Fire
8. The Following
9. Carrie Diaries