April 09, 2010
Mitzi Schwartzbauer, D.C., Named New IRB Chair
Dr. Mitzi Schwartzbauer has been appointed as the new Institutional Review Board Chairperson.
The purpose of the Institutional Review Board (IRB) is to protect human research subjects and to comply with federal guidelines for experimental subject protection. The IRB will review the proposals for all research involving human subjects and assess the risks. If the IRB finds the risks to be acceptable it may approve the project as submitted. If the risks are unacceptable the IRB may suggest revisions and request the project be resubmitted or it may disapprove the project.
The responsibilities of the IRB Chair include the following:
1. Maintain a thorough understanding of federal regulations pertaining to human subject protections, the Sherman College IRB Manual, and other applicable state, and local regulations. Assure that regulations and policies are applied in all IRB matters with a commitment to foster ethically and scientifically sound human subject research
2. Review and approve, when appropriate, expedited submissions in accordance with regulatory requirements;
3. Determine exempt submissions in accordance with regulatory requirements;
4. Review (or defer to the primary reviewer or other IRB-designee to review) all on-site serious adverse event reports (SAEs) and unexpected problems affecting the safety of subjects;
5. Appoint qualified IRB members as IRB-designees with authority for expedited reviews and other actions as defined in these Policies and Procedures
6. Appoint qualified HSRO staff members as administrative-designees with review and signature authority as defined in these Policies and Procedures
7. Uphold IRB judgments no matter how these are received or perceived by Principal Investigators
8. Respect the diverse backgrounds, perspectives and sources of expertise of all IRB members and foster such respect among the IRB members.
For more information, please contact:
Karen Rhodes, Director of Public Relations
Sherman College of Chiropractic
P.O. Box 1452 / 2020 Springfield Road
Spartanburg, S.C. 29304
Telephone 800-849-8771, ext. 242