Classification/FLSA Status: Level II (Full-Time / Non-Exempt)
Primary Function: The administrative assistant in the Offices of Academic Affairs and Institutional Effectiveness facilitates the smooth operation of the educational program and the college performing complex administrative and secretarial duties.
1. To assist the Offices of Academic Affairs and Institutional Effectiveness with regard to activities of the offices, committee responsibilities and deadlines
2. To communicate specific information from Offices of Academic Affairs and Institutional Effectiveness with persons on- and off-campus
3. To provide general administrative support to the Offices of Academic Affairs and Institutional Effectiveness
4. To budget, inventory and maintain office supplies for the Offices of Academic Affairs and Institutional Effectiveness
5. To maintain the records of the document libraries for accreditation
6. To schedule, prepare agendas, record, type and distribute the minutes of any appropriate committee meetings, as directed by the Offices of Academic Affairs and Institutional Effectiveness
7. To ensure timely facilitation of quarterly academic and assessment procedures
8. To facilitate the administration of course, departmental and institutional surveys
9. To maintain and ensure that all faculty personnel files and contracts are complete and current and assure that all newly hired faculty members complete a personnel information sheet and receive a copy of the Faculty Handbook
10. To maintain an orderly filing system for the academic office; to facilitate and manage submission of updated course syllabi prior to onset of each course; to maintain current copies of quarterly syllabi for all courses; and to acquire and maintain copies of all midterm and final examinations
11. To lend enthusiastic support to college policies and to fellow co-workers
12. Participate in the annual Lyceum program
13. To assume such other duties as assigned by the coordinator for academic affairs or associate vice president for institutional effectiveness
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
1. Associate’s degree in an applicable discipline plus three or more years related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience; experience in higher education preferred
2. Excellent typing and word processing skills
3. Strong organizational skills
4. Ability to prioritize and coordinate intra- and interdepartmental projects effectively and autonomously
5. Ability to follow instructions as well as to take initiative
6. A desire to work in a team and service-oriented environment
7. Ability to compose and prepare accurate reports, records and correspondence
8. Ability to communicate professionally, both orally and in writing
9. Ability to perform critical, deadline-driven tasks while maintaining a spirit of collegiality and enthusiasm
10. A commitment to and an understanding of the importance of confidentiality
11. Computer: MS Office, with a very high comfort level with Word and Excel; general high level of comfort with technology. Experience with Apple products preferred.
Physical demands and work environment:
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to walk, stand/sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision and the ability to adjust focus. Occasional crouching and kneeling may be required and carrying with weight limit of 25 lbs. Strains/stresses may be related to computer use.
Work environment: While performing the duties of this job the employee works in a controlled work environment and the noise level in the work environment is usually minimal.
General sign-off: The employee is expected to adhere to all college policies and to act as a role model in the adherence to policies.