Classification/FLSA Status: N/A (Exempt) (Faculty Position)
Primary Function: The chair of the radiology department assists the dean of clinical sciences in providing ongoing assessment and management of the students’ radiology learning experience with respect to the Sherman System, professional standards of care and national board examinations.
- To serve as a faculty member.
- To serve as coordinator of the radiology curriculum including radiology curriculum review, development, and assessment.
- Provide focus to the department and ensure progress is made on projects.
- To teach courses within the radiology department.
- To serve on the following committees: Curriculum Review, Faculty Hiring.
- To schedule and conduct meetings for radiology department faculty members to facilitate departmental interaction and communication.
- To prepare an agenda and record minutes for department meetings.
- To maximize the talents within the department and help connect those talents to the institution and students.
- To encourage and assist faculty members to develop professionally through formal courses, conferences, seminars, mentoring, professional meetings, and college activities.
- To conduct course and faculty performance evaluations, and develop improvement strategies based on those evaluations.
- To write articles related to the radiology program and/or the Sherman System as needed.
- To set and achieve annual departmental goals that will contribute to the attaining college goals and objectives.
- To submit semi-annual assessment reports to the dean of clinical sciences and the vice president for academic affairs on how his/her activities are meeting program goals and objectives.
- To prepare and submit an annual budget to the dean of clinical sciences for the completion of duties and departmental needs.
- To schedule and conduct related faculty development programs to improve their knowledge and skills of radiology in the classroom and health center environment.
- To participate in profession-wide radiology discussion, conferences, or events.
- To utilize outcomes information for the ongoing development of the effectiveness of the radiology curriculum.
- To keep abreast of literature in radiology.
- Lend enthusiastic support to college policies and to fellow co-workers, particularly in the presence of students and support personnel.
- Participate in the annual Lyceum program.
- To direct all department activities supporting the mission of Sherman College.
- To actively coordinate department coursework with Health Center operations so that it prepares students to be effective interns.
- To assume any other duties that may be assigned by the dean of clinical sciences and/or the vice president for academic affairs.
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- A desire to assist the college in achieving it mission, goals, and objectives.
- A strong understanding of, and a desire and ability to incorporate the philosophy, science, and art of chiropractic as taught by Sherman College, with relevant clinical education standards and clinical competency requirements.
- A passion for the provision of excellent instruction in radiology.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational and leadership skills.
- Doctor of Chiropractic degree.
- A current South Carolina chiropractic license.
- Minimum three years’ chiropractic practice experience and/or teaching experience, particularly in the field of radiology.
- Computer: MS Office proficient.
Physical demands and work environment:
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to walk, stand/sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment: While performing the duties of this job the employee works in a controlled work environment and the noise level in the work environment is usually minimal.
General sign-off: The employee is expected to adhere to all company policies and to act as a role model in the adherence to policies.